Wednesday, February 20, 2008

What's a U&O and why do I need to pay for it?

When selling your home in Bucks County, it's a good idea for you or your REALTOR to call your local township and ask if there is a U&O (Use and Occupancy) permit required for residential resales. Many townships have these permits, and the requirements differ from township to township. The permit is required when you sell a home in the township, and in the Agreement of Sale, the Seller is required to provide one, unless specifically noted that the Buyer will be responsible for the inspections and any necessary repairs.

Sometimes, a township will require a U&O inspection where the inspector looks for obvious hazards - GFCI outlets in the kitchen and baths, broken windows, anti-tip device on stove, etc. They may also require: heater certifications, chimney certifications, electrical certifications, sprinkler system certifications, etc.

Because many times the U&O permit can be a very involved process, the best idea is to contact your township when you list the home. Although many townships won't inspect until 30 days prior to settlement, knowing the requirements, and what they are going to inspect prior to selling your home gives you the opportunity to plan and prepare.

Want to know your township U&O requirements? Shoot me an email, and I'll be happy to forward them to you!

1 comment:

pjeary said...

Interesting real estate blog. I have bookmarked for future reference. Hope to see such good things again.

Click here for : Miami Homes