Thursday, February 7, 2008

Where my Girls At?

According to the National Association of Realtors 2007 Profile of Home Buyers and Sellers for Pennsylvania, 21% of home Buyers were single females.

Girl Power! (Or is it Grrrl Power?)

Here are a few things to consider when purchasing a home:

Single or condo?

A single is a good choice if you are up to the challenge of a little maintenance and desire privacy or even your own little corner to garden. Keep it manageable. A condo or townhouse is a good choice if you want a more carefree lifestyle, and can be just as happy with a small pot of flowers as an entire yard of landscaping. Condos often offer amenities that you may not be able to find in a single: tennis courts, pools, gyms, and clubhouses.

Safety

Never buy in an area, no matter what the price point, where you don't feel safe. I'm a firm believer in checking out the area at several points during the day to get the "vibe" of the neighborhood. Your gut instinct will rarely steer you wrong. Personally, for condos or townhomes I like private entrances to the unit. Lighting is important.

Don't be intimidated by fixer uppers.

Look, I don't know how to replace plumbing, but I can understand the process if someone explains it to me. I can call several plumbers to get price quotes so that I don't get ripped off. I can lay tile (Seriously, it's not that hard!). I can paint and do rudimentary upgrades. Just because you're a single female, don't write off fixers because you're intimidated by "construction." You're a smart girl! You're buying a home all by yourself, and with recommendations and a little elbow grease, you may be up for the challenge.

Or not. But let it be because you want to buy move-in ready, not because you're intimidated by the work.

Want to talk some more about your price range, options, and the area? Shoot me an email or give me a call. I love to get "my girls" into their first home!

1 comment:

Patrick said...

Thanks for the great post. I'll be more than happy to answer any questions or feedback your readers might have

Click here for : Miami Condominiums