Monday, August 18, 2008

The Quickest Fixes to Get Your Home Show Ready

Everyone is sick to death of my preaching about how important toiletkitchens and bathrooms are to Homebuyers.  I know, I know, I know. 

I harp on it, don't I?

I thought I would share some ideas on some quick fixes to remodel your kitchen and bath if they need a little spruce up before hitting the market.  A little money now will save you a lot of money in carrying costs and pricing.

Bathrooms

  • If your tile is horrific, re-glazing is probably the cheapest option.  I only recommend white.  With re-glazing, they spray one color, so if you choose blue, the grout lines will also be blue and it screams "This has been re-glazed."
  • If you're up for a little bit of a challenge, tile is cheap.  You can buy some 12 x 12 for $.60 and re-tile your floor and tub surround.  You have to be handy (or have some money to pay for the labor), but it's a showstopper to have a "new" bathroom.  Keep the tub to avoid a lot of plumbing costs.
  • Putting in a new toilet and sink, and repainting can often be enough to give the illusion of a new bathroom. 
  • Don't try to hide bad tile, work with it.  As I've said before Brown/Pink and Brown/Blue are the new hot colors, so you may be able to salvage those 50's bathrooms.

Kitchens

  • Paint your cabinets a crisp white and change the hardware.
  • A piece of granite thrown on top of any cabinet is going to "wow" a consumer.  Call granite suppliers and try to find a leftover slab that they can give you cheap.
  • Peel and stick tiles are your friend.  Upgrade to the dollar ones that have "grout lines" in them.  They look a million times better than the others.
  • Your appliances should match.  If you have a stainless refrigerator and dishwasher, you need to buy a stainless stove.  The reason is that the "odd man out" might as well get up and scream "I'm old!" DON'T OFFER A CREDIT!

Want some more tips?  Or recommendations for tile guys, plumbers, etc.  Shoot me an email and I'll be happy to help.

1 comment:

Patrick said...

I found this blog informative. Needs of a person varies from person to person. In order to achieve more success in real estate business now-a-days sales people have to be more specific. Thanks for this

Click here for: Aventura Homes